Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Be Spiked Out, I Could Trip a Referee

3:49 - Got another 45 mins of work and I haven't accomplished anything since 1pm. I could not be more excited tonight if I was going to a eros-ny party...

5:00 - We get to Hot Tomatos for dinner. We are surprisingly on time.

5:20 - I find out the Hot Tomatos garlic bread could not be more overrated.

5:30 - The scallops are seared to perfection. The risotto tastes and is cooked like shit. I'm not at all impressed. BUT the scallops were really good.

6:40 - Walking to the XL. A guy is walking down the street screaming, "Tickets, tickets" to which I loud and obnoxiously respond, "What? What are you selling? Could you talk louder? I can't hear you, what?!" He almost punches me as we pass.

6:45 - We get to our seats. Front Row. Very nice.

6:50 - We spot Billy Gochee and Leo Almeida. They are in the fifth row. I walk over to Billy, tell him his seats suck, laugh, tell him to fuck himself, laugh, walk back to my seat, turn around and give him the finger.

6:52 - We decide to go get beers and pee before the game starts.

6:53 - Walking up these stairs from the first row is like a Crossfit workout - one of which I am still hurting from last night.

6:54 - I had a very rich dinner so I take a safety squeeze on an impressively clean toilet seat. Per usual, it's only gas...

6:57 - I meet back up with Schumey and KJ. They got light beers, I went with Bud Heavy. They both immediately acknowledge my veteran savvy - it's alcohol content before taste when 16oz costs $8.

7:12 - Donahue texts me: "Where are you" Todd: "Across from the Pitt bench, front row" Ben: "I see you- you wore maroon so you could hide" We all laugh.

7:38 - Stanley remains extremely good at jumping. Additionally, he has more points than the rest of UConn combined. Not good...

7:50 - at the half: Pitt32, Uconn29

7:53 - while Press Row goes to eat I walk past all their computers. A quick survey shows the majority of writers are stalking women on Facebook, a close second are AIM'ing, and very few are taking game notes or starting their stories.

7:55 - KJ goes to talk to some people. He meets Glenn Boggini and has the following exchange: KJ-yeah I'm here with Todd.
Glenn - where is he?
KJ - he's the faggot in the red sweater over there...
Glenn - isn't that maroon?
Point - KJ is the actual fag..real men know the difference between red and maroon.

7:58 - KJ walks back with Kenny. We exchange hellos and he tells us he has a terrible back problem. Sorrow is expressed.

8:12 - It's extremely frustrating to watch the game from the front row. The heads of the guys in press row keep getting in my way. How do people watch a game like this...

8:18 - extremely long TV timeout. ESPN must had a 30for30 commercial to run.

8:32 - I come back from a pee break and it's a 1pt game. I knew my penis was good luck! Hear that ladies...

8:33 - So it CAN get loud in the XL after all...

8:38 - a white kid and a PR do the Jersey, Shoe, Layup Race. I had big money on the PR kid, but instead of putting the shoes on he tied them together, threw them over the backboard, and sold weed to Jerome Dyson. It was terrible.

8:44 - Jimmy is fucking irate (who's irate?) with Stanley(and why are they in to 3ways?!?)

8:48 - Terrible call by Timmy Higgins and for once he can hear me scream at him.

8:49 - also, I've decided to call all black refs "Reggie Greenwood" I gotta think they'll get upset with this.

8:55 - a one possession game and only 2mins to play. A Pitt player grabs a loose ball and slides across the court like it's a Slip 'N Slide. Somehow Higgins whistles a Timeout for Pitt. On the inbounds pass I rip into him. "Hey Timmy, you know that was a travel...Why do you hate Calhoun? I thought you Irish Catholics were supposed to stick together. You're worse than John Cahill." He glares at me. The guy who brought us cackles with laughter, "You got his attention with that one!"

9:05 - Game over and we head out of XL and to BlackBear. It's trivia night. The DJ/Emcee says, "Guys, if you scream out the answers, we willll throw you out." I repeat this line a million times and it never gets old.

9:30 - Fran Fraschilla walks in. He and John Saunders did the game (lame!). I yell, "Hey, Fran! You got any inside info on Yugoslavian power forwards!?!?" He glares over. It's my second notable college basketball midget glare of the night!

9:40 - after much heckling Fran leaves. too bad.

10:10 - We leave as well. A good night because of great people but a terrible loss. Fucking terrible...

2 comments:

  1. did you walk into the kitchen at Hot Tomatoes like you did at the Beav?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this also reminds me of one game in college when we were playing Suffolk....it was at BU so the fans (all 26 of them) were right behind our bench...my coach is heated, points at each of the referees and says "You, You, and You are FUCKING ME IN THE ASS RIGHT NOW".

    This may need to be a new go to for you next time you're in the front row....

    ReplyDelete