Friday, January 22, 2010

Jimmy and The Team

One of the components of "The Year of Todd" was to become famous. So when I broke the news about Calhoun and a health issue an hour or two before the mainstream media I expected to get some credit. Imagine my great surprise today when I was not referenced in any media reports and, even more shockingly, Andy Katz failed to drop my name in his coverage of the UConn/St.Johns Wednesday. This was my big chance to get famous! Andy, what the fuck? I even waited until Friday to post this and sure enough still no credit being given.

I shouldn't have been so surprised. This isn't the first time 77-74dotcom has broken news and not been credited for it. There was the Harkless recruitment in late 2009, the Dyson knee injury last spring...I guess I just thought this one was different. I think I deserve some credit for these stories, let alone the things I saw and never said a word about back when I lived on campus.


As for the Calhoun health issue - I'm not worried. Many people in/around the program say he hates this group of players...which is nice, it makes him just like the fans. I've finally snapped on Kemba Walker. Gavin's play is disproportionately controlled by his white half. I love that college ball is dictated by point guards and I hate that ours plays out of control and is backed up by Donnell Beverly (who I am being forced to like) and a bunch of freshmen. I hate that our offense consists of Jerome playing out of control and Alex or Stanley trying to put back his miss. I hate that Stanley Robinson has developed into a PLAYER and no one can get him the ball. I hate that teams can zone us and, until the second half against St. Johns, get away with it. More than anything else, I hate that we play with no heart. None. No heart at all.

I think Jimmy could be back very soon - like, within 30 days. But this team needs to show it cares. It need to show it cares about playing at UConn and show it cares about it's coach. The sooner they exude even a fraction of Jimmy's desire the sooner he will be back.

I understand why Jimmy is stressed. I am one of the most unapologetic homers you will ever see and even I have trouble liking this team. I love Stanley. I came in my pants when the Chuckwagon did that face up/baseline/reverse layup in the second half against the Johnnies. I like what Alex is becoming. I am warming to Donnell just because Kemba is so awful and I really dislike the majority of the rest of the team. Oh, and I cannot root for Jerome Dyson - he's a punk.

UConn basketball has always been fun for me. This isn't fun. If I was Jimmy I wouldn't want to be a part of it either...

No comments:

Post a Comment